Friday, June 12, 2015

Dead Show/podcast for 6/12/15

As I sat outside on my porch last night at 9:30 PM, noticing that it was still light, I thought that it might be time to bring you a show from the land of the midnight sun, Alaska. This week I'm playing a great show from the Dead's only visit to our largest state, back in 1980. This is from the middle of a three night run in a high school auditorium, on June 20th, 1980. I think you'll agree this is a particularly fine first set, starting out with a nice Jack Straw going into a great and bouncing, Franklin's Tower. The Mana Tried->Mexicali duo is well played and full of spunk as well. Weir infused the Let it Grow with just  the right imagery and the Althea that follows is a treat to hear. The boys don't stop there, however, as they might on a lesser day, but go on to add four more ditties to this first set including a fine Deal to close it. I think you'll enjoy this first set if you aren't already a fan, and if you are, hopefully you'll enjoy revisiting this fine show from 35 years ago. 

Grateful Dead
West High Auditorium, Ankorage, AK 6/20/80


SET ONE:
Tuning
Jack Straw >
Franklin's Tower >
Mama Tried >
Mexicali Blues
Friend of the Devil
Let It Grow >
Althea
Tuning
Easy To Love You
Tuning
Lost Sailor >
Saint of Circumstance >
Deal 

You can listen to this week's Deadpod here: 
http://traffic.libsyn.com/deadshow/deadpod061215.mp3

Thank you for your kind support which makes the Deadpod possible. 

have a great week my friends! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds Awesome !! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Something is wrong with a download somewhere - I definitely did not hear this setlist on the podcast. Mine started with Alabama > Promised, yet featured this Friend of the Devil and Mama > Mexicali, but with FOTD first. I'm starting the run all over, not sure what went wrong. Great podcast, love what you do!

the professor said...

I'm listening now and still here FOTD followed by Let It Grow