Thursday, December 31, 2015

Dead Show/podcast for 1/1/16

Happy New Year!
It just wouldn't be right if I didn't feature a NYE show on this date, and while many of the shows that the band played on New Years Eve were a bit of a letdown, I think I've chosen one that wasn't.. this comes to us from New Years Eve 1981. While the boys opened with an acoustic set with Joan Baez, I had to spare you that and omit it from this podcast. I did not however, omit anything else - over three and a half hours of great Dead awaits you in this special New Years' podcast. All three sets including a wonderful Shakedown Street opener, an unusual Iko,Iko to ring in the New Year, Terrapin Station, a fabulous Morning Dew which closes set 2, and an excellent Dark Star to open set 3. I hope you have plenty of time to savor this Deadpod over the holiday weekend, and I sure hope you enjoy it!

Grateful Dead 
Oakland Auditorium 
Oakland, CA  
12/31/81 - Thursday
One
Shakedown Street [15:15] ;
Me And My Uncle [2:59] >
Mexicali Blues [4:41]; Cold Rain And Snow [6:20] ;
C C Rider (1) [8:32] ;
It Must Have Been The Roses (2) [6:27] ;
Beat It On Down The Line [3:33] ;
Big Boss Man (1) [6:01] >
New Minglewood Blues (1) [6:10] ;
Don't Ease Me In [3:12]  
Two  
Iko Iko [7:24] ;
Playing In The Band [14:49] >
Terrapin Station [12:24]> Playing In The Band [4:28] >
Drums [9:55] >
Space [7:40] >
The Other One [11:09] >
Not Fade Away [7:28] >
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [7:21] >
Morning Dew [10:44]  
Three  
Dark Star [15:16] >
Bertha [6:32] >
Good Lovin' [10:03]  
Encore  It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (2) [7:07]  

Comments An acoustic set with Joan Baez preceded the Dead only sets, set list was: Me & Bobby McGee ; Bye Bye Love ; Lucifer's Eyes ; Children of the 80's; Banks of the Ohio. Iko at midnight. (1) with Matthew Kelly (2) with Joan Baez  

You can listen to this week's Deadpod here: 
http://traffic.libsyn.com/deadshow/deadpod010116.mp3

Thank you my friends for listening and for your support during 2015. Your kindness makes producing this podcast a labor of love. 
May we all be blessed with health, peace and happiness this New Year! 



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to sink my teeth into this! Having just attended Dead & Co.'s NYE show in LA, this show has added significance for me at this moment.

Happy New Year, Professor! I've said it many times before, I'm saying it now, and I'll say it again in the future: THANK YOU SO MUCH for all that you do for me and our community! Wishing you all of the very best in 2016 and beyond!

jdinbama said...

I subscribe to your podcast via Itunes. For some reason, the download will not complete. Have tried each day since it was posted

the professor said...

You are the first to report this - and I personally downloaded it without problem. Perhaps you don't have enough free space for it? Have you tried downloading it directly from the link on the blog page?

jdinbama said...

I have almost 700 gb free on my hard drive, so storage space is not a problem. The problem usually happens when either the podcast feed or Itunes has changed something somewhere, thus requiring an update to the RSS feed. All my other podcast downloads through iTunes work fine, as did all the Deadpods up until this one. Strangely, a manual download from your blog page will not complete. I can stream AOK. Hope this helps you pinpoint the problem, and thanks in advance for your help!

the professor said...

Sorry but I don't even know where to begin. Did anyone else have this issue?

possum said...

"Joan Baez sits in on Maybe It Was the Roses...but doesn't ruin it."
Laughed my butt off.

Re: Tech Issues, iTunes downloads fine for me. Problem is not on the Deadpod's end.