Friday, December 06, 2019

Dead Show/podcast for 12/6/19

Here's a show that I attended and found to be quite magical at the time.. it is from December 1st, 1979 at the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh PA. A beautiful, small venue, the energy on this night was unmatched and I'm sure it comes through on this nice recording.
The show starts with a smoking 'Jack Straw', which Jerry then takes into a long and beautiful 'Sugaree'. After this we know we're in for an evening of great jamming, and the boys don't let us down. 'Uncle>Big River', is even full of life, and 'Loser' always a favorite of mine, is perfect.
Brent, still new on keyboards, sings a nice 'Easy to Love You'. Bobby's slide work in the 'Minglewood' that follows, could be better but a great 'Althea' saves the day and the band ends this first set with a wonderful 'Music Never Stopped'.. We'll hear set 2 next week...

Grateful Dead
Stanley Theatre
Pittsburgh, PA
12/1/79 - Saturday
One    
Jack Straw [5:36] >
Sugaree [16:52] ;
Me And My Uncle [2:53] >
Big River [6:18] ;
Loser [7:21] ;
Easy To Love You [3:43] ;
New Minglewood Blues [7:21] ;
Althea [11:33] ;
The Music Never Stopped [8:44]

You can listen to this week's Deadpod here:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/deadshow/deadpod120619.mp3

Peace, health and happiness to all of you during this season.

thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in 1987, when I was working with the NPS at the North Rim, a co-worker miracled me with a pristine quality copy of the 2nd Set of this show! At that time in my tape collecting career, a tape of this quality (the highest of the high!) was rare to come by and I absolutely fell in love with it! The tape started with LLR and that amazing jam into the very 1st CC Ryder mesmerized my friends and I. To be present at a show like this probably puts it into your inventory of the all time best shows you've attended.
I like your description of the Stanley Theater also. It reminds me of the 9-26-72 show I attended at the Stanley Theater in Jersey City......lots of curtains and drapes and an intimacy between band and heads that was unequaled in the stadium venues! What a show!! I remember Jerry literally skipping 2-3 steps into the jam after the 2nd verse of Cumberland, the energy was that intense!! Thanks for the shows, man!
beautyanddabeast in Flagstaff

Anonymous said...

Been spinning this all week. You are a lucky man to have caught this show, Professor.