Friday, October 16, 2009

Dead Show/podcast for 10/16/09

This week we get to listen to one of the best second sets that the band produced in 1983.. Each of these songs individually is played with a verve that will bring a smile to your face, but the totality, as is often the case with the Dead, is much more than the beauty of the individual songs.
I could tell you how much I enjoy this particular china->rider, or the wonderful Space into the best St. Stephen of the last three the band played, but I'd rather you simply enjoy this set and the joy that I hope it brings you...

Grateful Dead
Hartford Civic Center
Hartford, CT.
October 15, 1983

set 2:
China Cat-> 6:17.47
I Know You Rider 7:26.39
Playing in the Band-> 16:03.70
China Doll-> 7:55.08
Drums-> 8:44.38
Space-> 9:44.16
Saint Stephen-> 7:52.60
Throwing Stones-> 9:02.12
Saturday Night 4:43.08
encore:
Brokedown Palace 5:53.00

You can listen to this week's Deadpod here:
http://media.libsyn.com/media/deadshow/deadpod101609.mp3

thanks for picking us up - and for your support my friends.

PS Happy Birthday Bobby Weir!

4 comments:

Bill L. said...

Best modern-era St. Stephen?

patrick said...

hey proffesor do you think there is any chance that you could play the show from the night after the cornell show from '77? help>slip>frank is one of my favorite song combos and i know this show starts off with one of the best renditions ive ever heard. keep the music coming!

patrick from san francisco

the professor said...

patrick - I *love* that help->slip->Frank !! I think it was the first Dead show I played on air...
-the professor

Anonymous said...

Thank you Professor! The china-rider is awesome, but the playing in the band is off the reservation. Everyone is in the jazz zone, but I find myself mesmerized by bobby toward the end of the jam. he was obviously on another planet that night. Best jazz ensemble ever? Thanks again.