Friday, January 17, 2014

Dead Show/podcast for 1/17/14

A classic second set from the great year of 1971 on this week's Deadpod. This one features a massive Other One, an early look at Keith who was playing with the boys without Pigpen on this night and a very well played Goin' Down the Road Feelin Bad->NFA->GDTRFB sandwich.. definitely a favorite!
Phil is all over this massive Other One as well, and I think this is a good choice to warm those bone on a cold Winter's eve...


Grateful Dead
Allen Theatre Cleveland, OH
10/29/71 - Friday

Two - [66:24] [66:24] ;
Cryptical Envelopment [1:51] >
Drums [0:23] >
The Other One [20:16] >
Me And My Uncle [2:54] >
The Other One [2:58] >
Cryptical Envelopment [1:39] >
Deal [4:19] ;
Sugar Magnolia [5:55] ;
Ramble On Rose [5:50] ;
Not Fade Away [4:40] >
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [6:32] >
Not Fade Away [2:42] ;
One More Saturday Night [4:02]

You can listen to this week's Deadpod here:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/deadshow/deadpod011714.mp3

Thanks so very much for your support of the Deadpod!
I very much appreciate it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another amazing set. The quality of the recording, mix, and playing is just superb. I haven't listened to a lot of commercial releases, so I'll ask everyone else: is this commercial release-level stuff? I'm glad it wasn't, because otherwise I wouldn't have heard it here just now; but, this strikes me as worth having a conversation about.

What a spectacular and unusual treat that lengthy Other One is! Although everyone made wonderful contributions, I loved how it was so heavily piano-driven. Keith very much owned it. This strikes me being remarkable, given that he was so new to the band...I just looked it up, and his first appearance with the band was only ten days prior (10/19/71)! Now I'm all the more astonished!!!