Friday, December 31, 2010

Dead Show podcast for 12/31/10

It's not every year that NYE falls on a Friday, so I decided I should take advantage of the occasion to play a NYE show. The Dead were of course famous for their NYE concerts and the radio broadcasts of same that often provided many of us with a joyful experience of the boys we perhaps didn't get to see as often as we would like. I recall several New Years evenings at the radio station listening to the simulcast.. ahhhhh .. I can't claim that I heard this one, but as it marks the transition from one great GD year to another, I decided it would definitely be worth playing.. I really love the energy coming out of the New Year countdown into Around and Around.. the Jack Straw is awesome and I think in general the band is in fine form...

Grateful Dead
Date: 12/31/72 - Sunday
Location: Winterland Arena - San Francisco, CA

One:
Around And Around 04:20
Deal 04:10
Mexicali Blues 03:21
Brown Eyed Women 04:41
Box Of Rain 04:58
Jack Straw 04:45
Don't Ease Me In 04:46
Beat It On Down The Line 03:15
Candyman 03:04
El Paso 04:04
Tennessee Jed 07:31
Playing In The Band 18:45
Casey Jones 06:04
set music:
1:13:44

You can listen to this week's Deadpod here:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/deadshow/deadpod123110.mp3

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Thanks for listening and for your SUPPORT!! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Professor - I can easily say that the podcast made 2010 a little bit more enjoyable. Thanks for sharing the music and looking forward to 2011!!

Happy New Year!

Jim P. said...

OK, do not get me wrong here, I love the Deadpod, and I am indeed Grateful for it.
Thank You Professor!
And, I have only been listening for a couple months, so this criticism may be off the Mark, but, are the broadcasts a bit heavy on early 70's shows - especially '72? And, anything newer seems to be early 80's (solid-state Dead).

All these shows are good shows - no doubt about it, but some mid-late 70's would be great too! For example: there are some 76-era shows with let it grow - wheel - the other one, and all sorts of other eclectic stuff strung together in the 2nd set, and often a lazy lightning / supplication in the first set. Or, something from the back-half of the 80's would be a great addition too.