Friday, September 23, 2011

Dead Show/podcast for 9 /23/11

Well Fall has officially arrived, and this season inevitably brings to my mind the fond memories of one of the greatest later-era Grateful Dead runs - Madison Square Garden in the Fall of 1990. When the band arrived in New York the jury was still out on their future following the passing of Brent Mydland. By the time they left after these shows, they had a new member, and any questions were answered as to their desire and capability to keep producing great music.
The show I'm featuring the next two weeks, from September 18th, 1990 is not the most famous of the run, but it is a very fine and enjoyable show. In this first set I have to point out the magnificant 'To Lay Me Down->Promised Land' closer...
Enjoy and may the fall treat you gently, my friends.

Grateful Dead - September 18, 1990
Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
Set 1:
Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo
New Minglewood Blues
Loser
Picasso Moon
Row Jimmy
Desolation Row
To Lay Me Down ->
The Promised Land

You can listen to this week's Deadpod here:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/deadshow/deadpod092311.mp3


Thanks for listening and for your SUPPORT!
You can send a donation via the Donate button to the right of the page - I really appreciate your support!!

4 comments:

Dave said...

Dear Professor,

This week and next week's shows look great. However, this week's actual link is the show from last week. Which is not a bad thing, I'm just eager for this 1990 stuff.

Thank you for what you do.

Let it rock,
Dave in Savannah, GA

the professor said...

It should be fixed now - let me know if its still incorrect. thanks.

Anonymous said...

I love Grateful Dead shows from 1990!What a great Desolation Row!

Anonymous said...

If this is a lesser-known show from that run, then I MUST get my hands on the other, "better" shows! The whole set killed. I always enjoy Desolation Row (and am so proud when Bob seems to nail every lyric, because that must be tough one!), and To Lay Me Down was a highlight for me.