Friday, November 30, 2012

Dead Show/podcast for 11/30/12

This week's Deadpod features a great show that I've meant to play for some time - the Grateful Dead's performance on December 5th, 1971 at the Felt Forum, Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York. This comes to us from a pre-fm soundboard, but the sound is a bit iffy at times and sounds a bit 'condensed'.. nevertheless the performance is really alive and Jerry is zinging with energy. The set features a wonderful Brown-Eyed Women, the only performance of 'I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water', as well as a simply fine Tennessee Jed and Comes a Time... 
We'll hear the second set next week but everything, from the great Bill Graham introductions of the band members (if rock and roll had a Godfather.....").. to the set closing Saturday Night is spot on and shows us the band in their full youthful glory..


Grateful Dead
Date: 12/5/71 - Sunday
Location: Felt Forum - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
One:
Bertha
Beat It On Down The Line
Big Boss Man
Brown Eyed Women
I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water
Jack Straw 
Mr. Charlie 
Tennessee Jed 
El Paso
Deal 
Playing In The Band
Next Time You See Me
Comes A Time
Casey Jones >
One More Saturday Night 


You can listen to this week's Deadpod here: 

I hope that as we watch November,and indeed all of 2012 go slowly behind us, that you are all well and happy.. I can't think of a finer audience and thank you all so much for listening and for your kind support.. 


3 comments:

Chuck said...

Thank you Professor! This has, IMHO, the finest Casey Jones ever. Phil absolutely tears the roof off during the ending verses. Gives me shivers every time I hear it. Thanks again, this and next week will top off my 160gig I-pod (with much Deadpod).

Anonymous said...

Prof - Truly excellent choice. I first heard this broadcast on WNEW 102.7 FM (NYC) in 77 or 78 and this has always been one of my favorite shows. Thanks for sharing the wonderful music!

Eric G said...

Bill Graham says "If Rock and Roll was ever to have a Godfather, it would be Jerry Garcia." This show in Dec 1971 occurred shortly before the March 1972 release of the movie The Godfather, and I wonder if Bill's comment was partly in reference to the excitement at the time surrounding Mario Puzzo's book and the impending movie. The film must have been receiving a lot of pre-release hype at the time, given the star power of FF Coppola, Marlon Brando et al.