Friday, October 05, 2012

Dead Show/podcast for 10/5/12

Fall of 1976 was an excellent period for the band and this week's show is a nod to the
upcoming release of 'Dave's Picks' 4' as well as a great representation of this tour, as 
we travel to Indianapolis for a show that took place on October 1st, 1976. 
We will hear the first set this week, and while it does take a song or two for the band
to really rev up, I think by the time Deal arrives we know we're in for a good show. 
My personal highlights include the Brown Eyed women and of course, the rare first-set
Scarlet Begonias. 
This is a really interesting time for the group as they are moving from the slower more
jazzy improvisational pieces and developing the tighter rhythmic structures that we know and love
in 1977. 
I hope you enjoy this week's Deadpod..  
  
 
Grateful Dead - October 1, 1976
Market Square Arena - Indianapolis, IN

Set 1:

Bertha
Mama Tried
Deal
Cassidy
Friend Of The Devil
Big River
Brown Eyed Women
It's All Over Now
Scarlet Begonias
Promised Land 
 
 
You can listen to this week's Deadpod here:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/deadshow/deadpod100512.mp3 

I hope that you might consider making a donation to support the Deadpod.. You can do so by clicking on the 'Donate' button on the right side of the page, or by dropping me a note and sending a check. I very much appreciate your support!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, really heats up when we get to big river, big treat for all phil fans on scarlett.
loved it.
Mr Dealeg.

Anonymous said...

This was one of the first few shows I heard when I first started listening to The Deadpod about 2.5 years back, and I still remember the impression that it made on me...which is what led me back to it now. A friend, who is a jazz keyboardist, asked me to recommend a show because he wanted to give the band a try, and I thought this particular show could be a good start. I recalled Keith's contribution in this show, and how wonderfully unusual this version of Bertha is. The mix is very Keith-heavy early on (there is nothing wrong with his playing...I simply wish that I could hear the other instruments as well), but towards the end of the set, you can here them all much better.

I'm surprised that more people didn't have anything to say about this very good, rather unusual show. Anyway, thanks, Professor!